It is Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and it is the longest Welsh town name and the longest Welsh word. It is a village on Ynys Môn, the island of Anglesey.
Other Related Pages
Longest Welsh Town Name - Llanfairpwllgwyngyll Pronunciation
A Channel 4 weatherman stunned the TV audience one day when he described the weather in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch perfectly.
Have listen to this (courtesy of Channel 4).
What is the Longest Place Name in Wales?
It is Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and it is the longest Welsh town name and the longest Welsh word.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll is a village with a long name on Ynys Môn (Anglesey) in north Wales. Written in full, it has 58 characters but in Welsh it has 51 letters (for example, LL and Ch are one letter in Welsh but two characters). It currently has a population of over 3,000 and is predominately a Welsh speaking part of Wales. It is near to the Britannia Bridge which connects mainland Wales to Ynys Môn, the island of Anglesey.
It is often shorted in speech and in writing (for obvious reasons!) to Llanfairpwllgwyngyll or Llanfair PG. However, in the town itself, the name is often shown in full at, for example the train station and other commercial buildings. Sometimes referred to as the long city name in Wales, it is a village or a town but not a city.
History of Llanfairpwll
For centuries, Llanfairpwll was a small rural settlement on Ynys Môn. In the sixteenth century there were about 50 inhabitants. By the early nineteenth century, it had grown to about 400 inhabitants in what was becoming to be known as the old town Pentre Uchaf, or Upper Village and the village name became either Llanfairpwll gwyngyllgogerych wyrndrobwll llantysiliogogogoch-isaf (lower town) or Llanfairpwll gwyngyllgogerych wyrndrobwll llantysiliogogogoch-uchaf (upper town).
The coming of the twentieth century brought major changes following the construction of Thomas Telford's new road in the 1820s and then the arrival of the railway crossing at Britannia Bridge at the beginning of the 1850s. This led to the development of a new part of the village, which became to be be known as Pentre Isaf or Lower Village around the railway station.
It is believed that originally, the village was called Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll. In the second half of the nineteenth century, at the beginning of the 1850’s when a railway was being built between Chester and Holyhead, the village was renamed.
A group of enterprising local people encouraged the railway builders to build a station at Llanfairpwll to encourage travellers to stop at the village to develop commercial trade. It is believed that the name Llanfairpwll was invented around this time by a cobbler from Menai Bridge who had the idea of combining the name of Llanfairpwllgwyngyll with that of neighbouring Llandysiliogogoch to create the longest name in the world. It is very unlikely that he had any idea as to how successful this name change would be as a tourist marketing plan!
It means, "Saint Mary's Church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio of the red cave".
First Women's Institue Meeting in UK
Apart from being world famous for its long Welsh town name, Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch was also the location for the first Women's Institute meeting in the UK. On September 16th, 1915 the first WI meeting in Britain took place.
The Women's Institute movement was founded by Canadian-born Adelaide Hoodless and Erland Lee, where the first Women’s Institute was formed in 1897 in Stoney Creek, Ontario. It was a branch of the Farmer’s Institute. Supported by the Agricultural Organisation Society it was founded to educate rural women and to encourage them to get involved in growing and preserving food during theFirst World War
It quickly spread to the United Kingdom and other countries. Madge Watt, who had been a member in Canada but who had moved to Sussex in the UK, helped set up the Llanfairpwll branch in September 1915 after landowner Colonel Richard Stapleton-Cotton and his wife Jane invited her to address the local women. The first WI meeting in the UK marked the beginning of a network of women's organisations that aimed to provide education and support for women in rural communities. The WI has since become a prominent and influential organization in the UK, with thousands of local branches across the country.
Located in Pembrokeshire Wales, our ethos is defined in the three words...